[Advaita-l] Conference on that Date of Adi Sankaracharya in October, 2002

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 31 10:27:09 CST 2009

Dear Vidyasankarji,
At the outset I wish you and all the members of the Advaita forum a happy new year.
I am interested in knowing the true date of Adi Sankaracharya. I have the highest respect for the Sringeri math and I visited that math and I have not visited the Dwarka and the Puri math uptill now. Hope that will convince you about the regards I have for the Sringeri math.  I did visit the Kudali Sringeri math also and I was lucky to have the darshan of mother Sarada there at the confluence of Tunga and Bhadra.
I also have respect for the Sankaracharyas of the Dwarka and the Puri maths. The Sankaracharyas of all the maths are holy persons and I respect them all. But my science training does not allow me to relish the different dates upheld by the different maths. I wish all the important people of all the maths established by Adi Sankara meet together to sort out the differences to arrive at a common date. If however we cannot agree to a common date can we not amicably agree to disagree?
I came to Mumbai on December 7 last. If you send me the address an the telephone number of your brother I would be able to contact him for the book by Shastri so that I can have look at that.
As regards the Sankara Vijaya you referred to are you sure it was written by Vidyaranya Swami himself an not by his namesake and do you think the great Tantric Abhinabhagupta, referred to in that, was from Kamarupa and not from Kashmir?
I was in touch with Gowrisankarji of the Sringeri math a few times in the past and there was another person with whom I had some correspondence but I do not recall his name now.
Hope mother Sarada will guide us in this endeavour to satisfy ourselves regarding the date of Adi Sankaracharya.
Looking forward to hearing from you and with regards,
Sunil K. Bhattacharjya