[Advaita-l] Peforming Pournami Tithi Pooja for my father.

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 30 13:46:22 CST 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Sathish Shanmugasundaram wrote:

> Dear Sir,
> We are Hindus from South India. My father died during pournami Tithi. So
> for the past six months when ever pournami tithi comes I pray keeping my
> father's photo after which, keep part of the food placed before him to
> crows and only after that we will have lunch. Unfortunately, My father's
> brother passed away 2 days back.Today the 3rd day fun My doubt is can I
> continue doing the pooja on Pournami Tithi or not? I would like to
> mention that we stay in a separate house and my father's brother stayed
> in a separate house for more than 45 years and continue to do so. Please
> let me know at the earliest as pournami dithi falls in a couple of days.
> Thanks.
> Regards,Sathiish

First of all my condolences for your loss.  May krpa nidhi Parameshvara
comfort you at this trying time.

Secondly I should mention that I am Gujarati.  Although the dictates of
shruti and smrti are the same for both of us, shistachara may be
different.  If so, I request South Indian list members to make any
necessary corrections.  (If you do so, please cc Satishji directly as he
is not a member of the list.)

Having said that, yes during mrtaka (the period after the death of a close
relative) we must suspend all auspicious activities.  However there are
some exceptions.  For example nitya karma such as sandhyavandana must be
continued.  Or if you have undertaken a vrata and it is already in
progress, it is not suspended because of mrtaka-sutaka.  Also this
prohibition applies to devakarya (puja to Gods) not pitrakarya (puja to
ancestors) as you are observing.  So my opinion is it is the right thing
to continue as you are doing.