[Advaita-l] Information on Vishnu Sahasranamam

Mahadevan Babu babunim at optushome.com.au
Thu Aug 27 06:49:46 CDT 2009

Hari Om,
I believe Sri Parasara Bhattar (Shishya of Sri Ramanuja) commented on
VishnuSahasranamam.
 From the (concised Vishnu Sahasranam Bhashyam book by Anna -
Ramakrishna Matt), the MadhvAcharya's PAtam is very close to Shri
Shankaracharya's PAtam except the following few differences:
Shankra PAtam						MadhvAcharya PAtam
naarasimha vapuh:					narasimha vapuh:
Yagya ijya:							Yagya eejya:
kruthaashee:							dhruthaashee:
amruthaasha:						amruthaamsha:
savithaa								sabithaa
BajanthiyE pushkaraaksham			Bajanthi puNkareekaksham

As far the AnushtuB chandas, the following explanation may be handy
after splitting the padams.

shlOkE shashTam guru gyEyam sarvathra laGhupanchamam  |

dvishchatu:  pAdayOrhasvam  saptamam  deerGamanyayO:  ||

There are several varieties of this meter, but that which is most in
use has eight syllables in each quarter, but of variable quantity.
Thus the fifth syllable of each quarter should be short, the sixth
long and the seventh alternately long and short.

Above reference from: Vaman Shivram Apte's book.

SRI GURUBYO NAMAHA !!!

Mahadevan Babu

From