[Advaita-l] Atman -- soul or witness or both ?

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:59:43 CDT 2009

Dear Sri Michael,

I am sure 'you know' more than your words are conveying, esp. your words
"whom we can invite to witness every thought, every word, .... "

We do not "invite" aatma.. Atma IS, like it or not, witnessing everything.
Our attempts to be aware of it take us into it. "brahmavit brahmaiva
bhavati" (one who knows brahma/Atma becomes brahma/Atma.)

What do you mean by "classical texts?"

vEda-s?
Here it is usually referred to as "tat." There are some vEdic references
with the word "Atma" itself. For example, in atharva vEda, gaNapati is
praised as:
"tvam saakshaat Atma asi nityam."

Though not using the word "Atma", SvEtASvatara upanishat says:
EkO dEvaH sarva bhUtEshu gUDhaH - sarvavyApee savra bhUta antarAtmA |
karmaadhyakshaH sarva bhUta adhivaasaH - saakshee chEtaa kEvalO nirguNaScha

Notice the last quarter of this - it is the direct reference of the word
"witness." It says that "the One - God" is "The Witness."

To understand more on Atma-witness etc. in lucid words, please Bhagawan
Ramana Maharshi's talks.

sOham
-Syam

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Michael Shepherd <
michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> The mahavakya all remind us of the shared identity of atman and Brahman.
>
> But how do we personally enter the truth of this ?
>
> Some teachers and gurus emphasise the practicality of atman as eternal
> witness, whom we can invite to witness every thought, every word, every
> action; as a means to unite with Brahman in the simplest possible manner.
>
> But I note that 'atman as witness' doesn't seem to figure much in classical
> texts. Or am I wrong ? Is this more implied than stated outright ?
>
> I'd appreciate comment.
>
> Michael

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

Best Regards,
Syam