[Advaita-l] Information on Vishnu Sahasranamam

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 02:09:01 CDT 2009

Om namO nArAyaNAya.

The *stotra*-s, *mantra*-s etc. are infinitely potent resources from our
venerable *Rshi*-s. The *Rshi*-s have set the *mantra*-s in certain language
meters (*chandas*), not arbitrarily but because of strong reasons.

*anusTup* is one of the *chandas*-es. It is not of 32 letters, it is of 8
letters. If a SlOka has 32 letters (and is said to be in *anusTup*), it
means that it has 4 *paada*-s each of 8 letters. Similarly *trisTup* is of
11 letters.

*anusTup* istself is also called *gAyatri chandas*, because *gAyatri* is in
*anusTup chandas*. In fact, the *chandas* itself is a "form" of *gAyatri*.
(Please remember, the 'essential' form of *dEvata* is *mantra* and
*chandas*is the 'structure/form' of the

Because of such a great importance of the *stOtra*-s and *mantra*-s, when we
do their *anushThaanam*, it is only naturally advised to praise the
*Rshi*(the composer), the
*dEvata* (who's *upAsana* is done by the *mantra/stOtra*) and the meter (the
structure of the *mantra*.) The line you have quoted is that *
Rshi-dEvata-chandas-smaraNam* for *vishNu sahasranaama stOtram*.

*chandas-Sastram* is a *vEda angam* and your doubts may be better answered
by learned members who are knowledged in the *Sastram*. To my knowledge,
there are certain *vEda mantra*-s which extoll that *gAyatri/anusTup chandas
* is the most "powerful." I will give the reference of these *mantra*-s in a
subsequent post.