[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 61, Issue 20

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 08:33:25 CDT 2009

Pravenji,
People convert to other religions.  And there are people born of other
religions.  There too exists the varnas however they do not observe
the varnasrama
dharma.  You have to understand the distinction.

In simple terms the varnas indicate the distinctness among intellectual,
the warrior, the entrepreneur and the laborer.  How much of it manifests to
the discernible levels for others to notice is a different matter.  It is
merely of quantitative nature and would make no difference.  All I am saying
is this four varnas do exist universally irrespective of the religious
affiliation such as Hinduism.

What you are talking is in dharma terms and not varna terms.  There is varna
in dharma but there need not be dharma in varna.  Hope you understand this.