[Advaita-l] Complete works of Shankaracharya

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Aug 20 00:30:04 CDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, V Srini wrote:

> I received email from Samata publishers asking for help. They are
> selling original Sanskrit "Complete Works of Shankaracharya" a 10-volume
> series for 4000 rupees (NOT including shipping charges). In the past I
> paid 12,000 rupees for the same plus Fedex international priority to
> USA. I read portions of some of those books; I can say every penny of
> the money I spent is well spent. These books are reprint of original
> "Vani Vilas Press" version. In my opinion, even if you are not very
> proficient in Sanskrit right now, I would say seize this opportunity and
> obtain these books. Consider it a rare privilege to possess these books.
> In a few years, there won't be any publisher able to or willing to print
> these books. If you can afford, please pay as much money as you can
> (more than 4000 rupees I mean), to the publisher, for these books.

Thanks for alerting us to this.  In these tough economic times, many
publishers are struggling.  I can't help but feel a little personally
responsible too.  The ready availability of even the most esoteric
information on the Internet is also affecting publishers.  I plan to start
publishing some books on Vedanta myself (more info soon) and that will
also mean competition for publishers.  Then again I remind myself that
despite having access to all these websites I still keep buying books.
(Including this set of complete works of Shankaracharya.)  So I am not
as pessimistic about the ability of people like Samata to survive.  I urge
all readers who can to buy this series.  Another book they publish which I
recommend is called "Essence of Yogavasishtha"  which is an English
translation of Yogavasishthasarasangrah, an abridgement of Yogavasishtha
Ramayana  by Swami Jnananada Bharati.