[Advaita-l] shudra

Dr D Bharadwaj dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 22:39:51 CDT 2009

Dear Sri Michael,
Your views on the applicability/relevance of the concept of varna are
thought provoking. It was nice to read as most of your posts are.

I am not sure that you really meant what you had said about
the oxymoron. But thought I may share some thoughts with you. I think
Advaita and varna are not an oxymoron. To say so is something like saying
that white light and rainbow colors is an oxymoron. Advaita is the Reality,
applies to, consistent with, all that is perceived, all that seems to be,
all that is. If Advaita is an oxymoron with varna, then so is it with
everything else that seems to a name and form, all that can lend itself
for severalized perception.

Advaita is not about non acknowledgement/contradiction of the terms like
'varna'. There is no oxymoron or inconsistency here.

Advaita concludes and resolves every pair that offer an oxymoron for
perception. Advaita and oxymoron may be, in a lighter vein, an oxymoron.

sarvE bhavanthu sukhinah
sarvE santhu niraamayaah
sarvE bhadrANi pasyanthu
maa kaschit duhkhabhAg bhavEt.