[Advaita-l] Importance of Sampradaya

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 21:28:32 CDT 2009

--- On Thu, 8/13/09, sriram <srirudra at vsnl.com> wrote:

> Dear members
> Yes,students were encouraged to ask questions to clear
> their misgivings without feeling shy.There is a sanskrit
> verse which says -Vidhyathuranam na ruchir, na lajja.During
> student days especially in gurukul days of yore an aspirant
> of vidhya should not mind the taste of food which can be
> extended to activities not relating to study and also should
> not feel shy to get his doubts cleared fully.

I believe the above verse has been misquoted. What I'm aware of reads:

vidyAturANAM na sukhaM na nidrA
kShudhAturANAM na ruchiH na pakvaM .
kAmAturANAM na smR^itiH na lajjA
arthAturANAM na sakhA na bandhuH ..

"(A student engaged in the pursuit of) knowledge knows neither pleasure nor sleep,
(a man who is inflicted by) hunger knows neither taste nor preparation,
(a man who is smitten by) lust knows neither good sense nor shame,
(a businessman engaged in the pursuit of) wealth knows neither friend nor relative."

I googled this and discovered that the GaruDa PurANa has a similar verse:

http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_purana/garuDapurANa.itx

arthAturANAM na suhR^inna bandhuH kAmAturANAM na bhayaM na lajjA |
chintAturANAM na sukhaM na nidrA kShudhAturANAM na balaM na tejaH || 1\,115\.67 ||