[Advaita-l] praNava

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 04:52:48 CDT 2009

Shrinavas,

Namaste. The dictionary struggles with prana, mixing, I suspect, the three
worlds !
It is derived as pra-ana, the dhatu an itself being breath. And what appears
(to me) to emerge from the various references quoted, is that prana
is/refers to/ at the causal level, universal life entering the individual
jiva; at the subtle level, 'vital air' which is composed of the five
elements, apprehended by sound, touch, sight, taste and smell; and at the
physical level, enlivening the ears, nostrils, eyes, mouth and nose.. of
which, at the physical level, we tend only to notice the 'breathing'.

Intriguingly, the measure of a  breath is given by one source as the time
taken to enunciate ten syllables -- make of that what you will !

It's much the same problem of interpretation as encountered in Semitic
languages : that they speak simultaneously at all levels; they are languages
of parable and metaphor. We've lost that in European languages, though poets
struggle to re-establish it; it sometimes emerges in 'common expressions'
('He smelled deceit').

In that respect, dare I say , Sanskrita should be read as a simultaneous
three-level, three-world statement similar to the Semitic languages..

Now over to the pandits.

Michael