[Advaita-l] praNava

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 11:55:23 CDT 2009

The quotation "pravaNayati iti praNava:" may be authentic than "praNAmayati iti praNava:".

Here is a reference from vaikhasana agama, but I have seen this elsewhere in a brahmana also:

Tai Pr. xviii says one of the forms of praNava can also be a circumflex which is anyway a pravaNa (slide).

The extrapolation to bowing andbent knees is a needless (Abrahamic?) extrapolation. praNava is

surely a symbol of offering, but at the time of offer the offerer merges into the offered deity through

bhakti and achieves oneness with the deity; only then the offering is complete. I do admit a number of

bhaktas on this and other boards talk about "surrendering" to Lord but this is clearly a dvaita word,

if not Abrahamic. There is no bowing or surrendering in advaita. I would rather be a surEnder (indra)

than surrender :-)