[Advaita-l] prapanca

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:05:36 CDT 2009

I consulted with bRuhaddhAtu and my dictionary regarding prapa~ncha and here
is what I found:

pa~nch dhAtu (verb root) has two meanings: vyaktee-karaNam (showing
differences) and vistAravachanam (denoting expanse). [Technically, pachi
vyaktee-karaNe, pachi vistaara-vachane.]
The prefix pra reinforces the meaning in either case. In sense of showing
difference prapa~ncha could be taken to mean something that shows
vareity/differences.
In the sense of highlighting differences, it also means samsaara (filled
with differences, etc.). Prapancha in the sense of denoting something big /
expansive is another meaning.

At any rate, none of my sources try to justify prapancha in the sense of
pa~nchan = five.

Moreover if one takes pa~ncha = five, then the pra won't be an upasarga at
all. Pra operates as an upsarga (verb prefix) only when it comes before
action words.  Otherwise, pra may be termed an avyaya. But Dr. Yadu's remark
about pra being an upasarga is correct, but for the wrong reasons :)
Because pa~nch is a dhAtu, pra becomes an upasarga. Not because pa~ncha =
five.

Now we can construct words like aShTakam (e.g., toTakAShTakam). So
pa~nchakam would be a set of five. In that sense, perhaps we can use
prapa~nchakam as some important set of five elements.

Naresh