[Advaita-l] Maxmuller et al

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 05:34:00 CDT 2009

Dear Bhadraiah,

I'm not sure that Maximilian Mueller -- with all the emotional baggage
carried by his beleaguered spirit -- is a fit subject for this website -- or
for my posthumous defence ! But here goes..

The pioneering work in the Western rediscovery of Sanskrit, and thus all the
knowledge that it offered the key to, was first carried out in India itself,
by those scholars attached to the Raj in one capacity or other, like Jones;
and in Germany and France. Muller, a German who studied in Paris also, was
recommended to come to Oxford because the Bodleian Library held many
valuable documents. (Don't ask why...)

He was a pioneer, along with German and French colleagues, in this 'new'
study -- and so made the 'laboratory' mistakes of any pioneer researcher.
And remember, he was working in Oxford, not in India under the supervision
of pundits and gurus !

Mueller's prime interest was 'The Science of Language' -- a science which he
invented and named, against much suspicion from the Church and from
scholars. (The universities were still closely associated in their 'degrees'
to 'holy orders' in the Christian Protestant Church -- even Catholics were
banned from Oxford until a later date..)

So Muller represents merely Western researches in Sanskrit in 1800 onwards..
though to its credit, Oxford had an appointed Professor of Sanskrit from
1830, primarily to aid Christian missionary work.

Muller arrived in 1848, and when he got down to the RgVeda he used
Sayanacharya's 14th century CE commentary (I believe). But he also
inaugurated the great 'Sacred Books of the East' series of translations --
in which the principal Upanishads appear; some translated by him, some by
others.

So please see him as a pioneer -- as much as any American frontiersman or
gold-miner of the time -- with all his mistakes and misjudgements. But it
was surely to his credit that he learned from his mistakes.. And Darwin's
Theory of Evolution misapplied to 'primitive' societies and humanity in
general, must have been a distraction.

Properly, the word 'primitive' (from 'pra' in Sanskrit...) speaks only of
first emergences; it acquired a pejorative sense only in the minds of those
reading the word ! (Roll on, the belief that 'modern' doesn't mean 'we know
better' any longer..)

Scholars would now prefer other non-debased words like 'Early' or 'Original'
or a specific time-period for 'primitive'. In fact, the more thoughtful
would feel respect for a 'primitive' tribe, chipping away so skilfully at
flint stones to make its 'knives'..

On the subject of 'Sanskrit as a dead language' I'm not competent to speak.
The argument is that around some date (and presumably not all at once, or
affecting all people; some not for centuries) 'Sanskrit' as a localised
dialect of Vedic, ceased to be a spoken language and became the formalised
language of priests and scholars, with rules established -- out of actual
oral practice.

The argument then is that Sanskrit ceased to 'develop' (because of the very
comprehensive rules) or more to the point 'change' in usage -- as for
example a 'living' language like American English, adapting to new
technologies, new immigrants misusing it, etc.

And because we all/most people/  have a personal emotional investment in
'our age is greater than any previous' ha ha, we think that the spoken
language is more colourful, pliable, vivid, communicative, valid...
forgetting that constant misuse and misunderstanding demote, demean, and
debase the most sacred and the most philosophical and the most beautiful
words.. look for instance at the word 'mantra' in the West today, meaning an
empty repetition by politiicians etc...

The counterargument sometimes advanced in India is that Sanskrit is such a
perfectly 'constructed' language that it can be accurately used of subatomic
physics and space research alike.. Not for me to say.

But there is a question to be raised about Vedic and Sanskrit, and  spoken
against formalised language (and it is most apparent at the moment in
French) : is the 'Vedic' language of the RgVeda thus more a freer, 'bhakti'
language of the heart, as of poetry and spontaneous praise, than 'Classical'
Sanskrit, which naturally tends to a 'jnana' vocabulary and thus
intellectual tendency of mind ? (What do current Sanskrit poets find ?)

Once again, not for me to pronouce on. Poets like myself love the English
language for its rich choice of not-quite-alternative words, allowing for
nuances of emotion which many though not all may pick up.

Against this, would be the pundits and gurus who say that Sanskrit, as the
'original' language, has all these universal subtleties built into its very
sound : so always communicates more to the deeper levels of the human
antakarana than any 'boiled' language.. (How does the absence of sandhi in
older Vedic fit into this ?)

Those English schools which have begun to teach Sanskrit from an early age
find that the spoken Sanskrit alphabet 'exercises the mouth' far more than
any European language, and  helps spelling because of this; and now that
English grammar is almost totally neglected except at basic level, brings
grammar in its clearest formulation, back into education. (It's a worldwide
phenomenon that students learn their grammar these days only or mostly from
learning a foreign language !)

Beyond those benefits, I'm not competent to speak; but I have English
friends who teach Sanskrit to English children, who would wax eloquent on
the further benefits to the minds of children.. or some children..provided
it's not treated as a status symbol. We even set our own Sanskrit  exams now
on a national and international basis..

Well, I think that's enough on the MaxMonster and all his evil attendants
and monstrous children...

Regards,
Michael