[Advaita-l] texts concerning leadership

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 5 16:51:52 CDT 2009

[Was: Help required.  Please use descriptive subject headings to help
people who might be searching our archives.]

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Anjana Nagraj wrote:

> I am currently researching Hindu texts addressing the theme of
> 'leadership' , the most obvious one being the Mahabharatha.  This is for
> an MBA dissertation and the theme is a comparison of leadership styles
> in Hindu texts with modern 'western' concepts.
>
> I was hoping that someone could suggest some useful texts handling this
> topic or provide some ideas as to how to approach the subject matter.

Probably the most relevant would be the Arthashastra of Chanakya called
Kautilya.  He helped Chandragupta Maurya become ruler of Magadha and from
thence emperor of most of India.  The Arthashastra was written to advise
Chandragupta on running that empire.

Then there is the genre known as nitishastra.  Viduraniti in the
Mahabharata is one of the most popular ones; there is also
Kamandakyanitisara and Bhartrahari's Nitishataka.  These are not about
management per se but interpersonal relationships and ethical conduct
which are surely related topics.