[Advaita-l] tri-guNa-Atmaka

anupam srivatsav anupam.srivatsav at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:54:24 CDT 2009

Dear Sri Srinivas,
Namaste.

> As you note ka suffix denotes "constructed by" or "made of".
> However, sometimes it also means "maker of", "creator of",
> "constructor of".
>
> And this is where I would like some help from list members.
>
> Example:
> preraka - one who is cause of or catalyst of preraNA (inspiration)
> ghAtaka - one who is cause of or catalyst of ghAta (disaster)

Prerarka and ghAtaka are certainly diffe-atmaka derivation.  Preraka
and ghAtaka are Nvul pratyayas.  They also based on dhatus (iira
kshepe and hana himsagatyayoH).

preraka = pra upasarga purvasya, iir dhatoH Nvul pratyayanta, prathama
eka vachanam.
ghAtaka = himsarthakasya hana dhatoH Nvul pratyayanta, prathama eka vachanam.

But,
tri-guNa-Atmaka = tri-guNaH AtmA yasya saH = tri-guNa-AtmA (shasti tatpurusha)
tri-guNa-AtmA + Thanj = tri-guNa-Atmaka (See, AtmA becomes Atma+ka and
also, AtmA is not a dhatu here)

> On similar lines:
> should we interpret sAtvika as (a) made of sattva guNa,
> or (b) "maker" of sattva guNa,

Therefore, we cannot interpret sAtvika as "maker" of sattva guNa, but
only as "made of" sattva guNa.

> and coming to the word Atmaka as in triguNAtmaka do we
> interpret it as (a) made of self of three guNa-s or (b) "maker"
> of self of three guNa-s.
> Can someone confirm if we can take meaning (a) or (b) or both.

Same applies here too.

> In this context another word that is used is triguNamaya.
> This certainly means "made of three guNa-s"

You are right here.

With regards,
Anupam.