[Advaita-l] Patanjali Yoga Sutra. I.3

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 13:35:20 CDT 2009

Namaste Sri Sundaresan-Ji & Sri Bhadraiah-Ji:

IMO - All traditional pronunciations are important and carry their own significance and they need to be understood from the respective tradition only.  Often with the advent of written script, one is likely to pin (attach) donkey's tail to the horse.  Things can get messy when correct transliteration is not followed.

I am used to Omkarananda's ITRAN 99 scheme and often have to rewrite anything that I come across on the internet.  The suutra mentioned suutra YS 1.3 should be transliterated as -

tadaa draShTuH svaruupe.avasthaanam || samaadhipaada 1\.3||

I will leave trhe interpretation on the above to the experts.

Finally, one can never forget the significance of grammar when it comes to understanding

anaxara.m hataayuShyaM visvaraM vyaadhipiiDitam |
axataa shastra ruupeNa vajraM patati mastake || 53 ||

Just my 0.02 Cents

Kind Regards,

Dr. Yadu