[Advaita-l] Sola Fide (was Re: Sraddha and

Mahadevan Babu babunim at optushome.com.au
Sat Apr 4 05:18:10 CDT 2009

IMHO, Sradha is well referred in various places on MahA NarAyaNa
Upanishad.
I quite like the place referred below, where it sequentially
establishes the Shradha - Chitha shudDhi and Atma Gyanam

In the Gyana sAdhana NirUpaNam  (Establishment of the path to the
absolute knowledge here)
Quote:
"yABhirAdithyastapathi rashmiBhisthABhih parjanyO varshathi -
parjanyEnaoushaDhivanaspathaya
prajAyantha OshaDhivanaspathiBhirannam - BhavathyannEna praNAH -
prAnairbalam - balEna thapas-

thapasA shradDhA   - shradDhayA mEDhA

mEDhayA manIshA  - manIshshayA manO  - manasA shanthih
shAnthya chiththam - chithEna smruthih - smruthyA smAram
smArENa vigyAnam

vigyAnEnAthmAnam vEdhayathi ;  "

Meaning as by Swami VimalAnanda

Those rays by which the sun gives heat, the same rays transform water
into rain-cloud, which showers the rain.
By the rain-cloud, herbs and trees come into existence.  From herbs
and trees food is produced.
By the use of food, the breaths and senses are nourished.  When the
life-breath is nourished, one gets bodily strength.

Bodily strength gives the capacity to practice tapas (in the shape of
self-control, austerity etc.).
As the result of such tapas,  faith in scriptural truths and in Guru's
teachings springs into existence.
By this faith mental power is obtained.
By mental power, sense-control is made possible.
By sense-control, reflection is engendered.
 From reflection calmness of mind results.
Conclusive experience of Truth follows calmness.
By conclusive experience of Truth remembrance if IT is engendered.
Rememnrance produces continous remembrance.
 From continous remembrance, results unbroken direct realization of
Truth.
By such realization, a person knows the ATMAN

Sri GurubyO Namaha !!!

Regards

M.Babu

Again, one needs Sradha to understand Sradha taking this as PramaNam