[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 56, Issue 31

vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 11:00:45 CDT 2009

Pranaams Shyamji,

Thank you for the clear elucidation of the difference between love and
attachment. It is clear one must rise out of dehatmabuddhi.

Vijaya.

>Message: 8
>Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Shyam <shyam_md at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] family love
>To: A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta
>	<advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
>
>PranAms.
>I would like to?add a small note?here.
>?
>There is no question that any love felt for ones children is not for
their sake but for ones own sake -?even a parents love?is not strictly
selfless in that sense - as the Br. Up famously declares - na vaare
putraanaam kaamaaya putraah priya bhavanti atmanastu kamaaya putraah
priyaa bhavanti It is not for the sake of the sons my dear that the
sons are loved but for ones own sake that they are loved.....
>?
>The goal for a seeker is always to get rid of the notional
dehatmabuddhi - any attachment one feels towards any relation, however
exalted - is only a sign that our dehatmabuddhi is extremely strong....
after all any relation of mother/father/etc is only in relation to the
sthoola shareera - our grosses manifestation - no mother ever gives
birth to the sukshma shareera...like two logs of wood in a river?
meeting only to be swept away in diferent directions after a brief
journey all?our relations are ephemereal - let us not allow ourselves
to be diverted by their concern.
>?
>We always need to make the subtle but important distinction between
love and attachment. Love for anyone - mother?father?children spouse
etc can very much be there ??- for love is freedom - an outpouring of?
fulfilment in itself, an expression of the boundless fullness which is
our own intrinsic nature. I daresay we do not know what this love is!
>?
>But attachment - ah we know very well - it is what we confuse for
love- and attachment is bondage. Our desire to hold on, wedded to
relationships we hold dear, believing them to be, or wishing them to be?
permanent - unable to bear even the thought that their impermanence is
a certainty.
>?
>Dwelling on the fact that each one of our relationships is timebound
and will end in time - whether in a matter of days or weeks or years -
will help us not only maintain a sense of perspective that allows to
focus on the task of hand which is to transcend this?prapanca of
form/function/result but also in a transactional?realm?may help us
better appreciate the limited time that we have these individuals?in
our lives as a blessing of Ishwara.
>?
>If?attachment we must have, let that be to our Divine Mother, let us?
ever recognize that alone as our?One true relationship,?let us?never
cease to intensely long for communion with Her.?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/security - What's your view on the Government's proposal to monitor your Facebook, MySpace, Bebo and Twiiter communication?