[Advaita-l] vedic mantras in nitya karmas

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Wed Sep 24 20:36:51 CDT 2008

Dear Sri Narayana Iyer
A general reading of the Sukthas you had mentioned will clear your doubts
about the vinamrata aspect contained in them.Sri Suktham says saranam aham
prapadye and goes on to describe the golden brilliance of Lakshmi and the
prayer addressed to Her.Durga suktham  contains sutharasi tharase nama:It is
more or less addressed to Durga in the form of Agni.it is also prayer to
remove all obstacles and bless the progeny with prosperity.Sandhya mantras
are full of vinamrata aspect only.The mantras say that all my sins-these are
also listed -sarvam punanthu mam -papebyoh rakshantaham-.The two sins -manyu
kruthebyah and kamo kruthebyah are again and again listed and prayed to the
Devathas to protect one from these two very difficult sins.Whether one has
actually committed  these sins are not still these are said to emphasise
that these two are very difficult to overcome.Manyu is anger and Kama is
desire.Also it is prayed that  one may be absolved of sins committed by
manas,vak and and karmendriyas -like hands,feet,stomach and genital
organs.All indicate vinamratha only.That is we as humans are very prone to
commit sins at a drop of a hat as it were and we plead that we may be
saved.It also indicates that it is very very difficult to conquer anger and
passion.The mantra says only desire and anger have done the sins!Meaning
human being have no control over these two emotions.How
true!.Krishnamoorthy.