[Advaita-l] Vedastuti part I

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:33:31 CDT 2008

Namaste,

Yes, Sridharacharya was an advaitin and so also was Keshava Kashmiri
Bhattacharya (who initiated Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and given the latter
the shodadakshiya Mahamantra). I have read it in the Tattvaprakashika,
the commentary of the Bhagavad Gita by Keshava Kashmiri Bhattacharya.
However the Gaudiya scholars do not admit the exalted status of
Keshava Kashmiri Bhattacharya. Bhagawat purana is an Advaitic text and
it also has Dvaitic ideas as one realises the Dvaitic truth before
realising the ultimate  Advaitic truth.  Ramakrishna Paramhamsa said
beautifully how all the three concepts Dvaita, Visishtadvaita and
Advaita are valid. It is like Hanuman told Lord Rama that as the
embodied individual he was the servant of the Lord, as the embodied
soul (jiva) he was the  part of the Lord and looking from the Atmic
angle he was the Lord Himself, ie there was no difference between the
Atma and the Paramatma. Madhvacharya selected only 1600 Dvaitic verses
out of the total of 18,000 verses of the Bhagawat purana  for his
expositon on the Bhagawat purana.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya