[Advaita-l] Brahmasutrabhashya and the date of.Adi Sankaracharya

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:36:11 CDT 2008

Dear members,

About two years ago we had some discussions in this forum  regarding
the authorship of Brahmasutrabhashya. The date of Adi Sankaracharya
has been established as 509 BCE but some doubts were expressed as to
whether Adi Sankaracharya could have authored the
Brahmasutrabhashya.The doubts arose because of the wrong dates of
Dharmakirti. It is now known from Jina Vijaya that Kumarila Bhatta was
born in 557 BCE. Adi Sankaracharya met Kumarila bhatta just before the
death of the latter.  Dharmakirti was a contemporary of Kumarila
Bhatta.Thus it is established that that Dharmakirti lived in the sixth
century BCE and he lived just before Adi Sankaracharya. Therefore
there is no doubt that Adi Sankaracharya was the author of
Brahmasutrabhashya and not Abhinava Sankaracharya, a later-day
advaitin stalwart.

Regards,

Sunil Kumar Bhattacharjya