[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: Meditation Vs nitya karma

annasmurthy . annasmurthy at sify.com
Fri Oct 31 07:37:15 CDT 2008

From: H.N.Sreenivasa Murthy
Pranams to all

On 10/31/08, latha vidyaranya <lathavidya at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

"how clean is my antahkarana becoming after all the sadhanas that i am
doing? how do i know that i am progressing? - by the fact that the
turbulances in my mind is becoming lesser and lesser, i start perceiving
more and more peace of mind than earlier,".

Dear Smt Lathaji,

        There are three very important phrases in your posting quoted above.
                They are (1) "my antahkarana" , (2) "How do I Know that I am
progressing" and
                              (3)  " I start perceiving more and more peace
of mind".

(1) When you say "my antahkarana" the antahkarana becomes an object
possessed by you.Then
you can see in your own anubhava that the anthakarana is an adventious
object and you as the SEER of that object are untouched by it. In this
connection I draw your kind attention to the mantra 4 , second chapter of
Kena Upanishad and Sri Shankara's commentary on it. I request
you to study in depth and cognize the facts revealed by Sri Shankara in the
commentary and which one is not aware of within yourself.

(2) Are there two "I"s within you , one "I" to observe the progress and
another "I" which is progressing?

(3) " I start perceiving more and more peace of mind". You are the perceiver
of the state of mind
according to your statement. Who is that "YOU" that perceive the state of
mind? Is it the person,
is it the the entity which perceives the mind? Please investigate.I draw
your kind attention to the mantras 3-8-11 and 3-7-23 of
Bruhadaranyakopanishad.

  IN TRUTH ANTHAKARANA  TAKES BIRTH IN YOU ( ATMAN), STAYS WITHIN YOU
AND DISSOLVES IN YOU. ANTHAKARANA IS NOTHING BUT ATMAN (YOU)
APPEARING AS ANTHAKARANA. Reference : Upadeshasasri ; Chapter 18, Sloka 1
which
reads as follows :

   yEnAtmanA vilIyanta udBavanti ca vRuttayaH |
   nityAvagatayE  tasmai namO dhIpratyayAtmanE || 18-1
       Reverance to that eternal Consciousness (avagati), the Self of the
mental presentations-that Self from which they rise and into which they
dissolve.

When once above facts are seen within oneself by oneself , Where is the
place for the notions
stated in your posting?

With warm and respectful regards,
Sreenivasa Murthy