[Advaita-l] Knowledge and the Means of Knowledge - 27

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 10:23:02 CDT 2008

I find this list at the bottom got mixed up - breaking things at wrong place. posting only this part.

Hari Om!
Sadananda
(a)The proposition to be proved – pratijnaa – ex. The hill has fire.
(b)Reason (hetu) for this conclusion --ex. Because I see smoke on the hill.
(c)Vyaapti – concomitant relation with supporting example (udaharaNa)-   -ex. wherever there is smoke there is fire, as in kitchen.
(d) Application of vyaapti   ex. Hill is smoky, smoke is always with fire.
(e) Conclusion reached (nigamana)  ex. Therefore the hill has fire.

 The steps involved are: