[Advaita-l] meditation and Nithya karmanushtana

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Oct 16 00:45:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, D.V.N. Sarma wrote:

> Sankara in his Taittiriya bhashya has said that the contention of Purva
> mimansakas that not doing nitya karma leads to pratyavaya (bad results) is
> against all pramanas. According to him doing nitya karma leads to chitta
> suddhi.

Lately what with the utsava season I've been spending more money than
usual so paying the rent was especially onerous this month.  But if I wish
to live in this house I must fulfill that obligation.  If I don't want to
pay the rent, I can choose to leave that house.  But can I sit on my sofa
in front of my big tv and tell the landlord, "Sorry no money from me this
month.  I feel I have transcended rent."?

> On the advaita list  I am really surprised that people are more concerned
> about things like Venkata Vaidyanatha Dikshitiyam. They should read the
> introductory portion of the Taittiriya bhashya where Sankara talks about the
> inadequacy of karma to lead to Brahman.

Feelings are also inadequate to lead to Brahman.  The only thing which is
adequate is to cut away the ties of ego and delusion that bind to samsara.
If an Advaitin cannot for some reason do that, he must resort to the
Vaidyanatha Diskshitiyam or other dharmashastras until such time as he
can.  Then he may abandon karma with no troubles.