[Advaita-l] Meditation Vs nitya karma

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Oct 15 06:15:55 CDT 2008

If a person has complete faith in a guru and the guru instructs the person
to do japa in place of a nitya-karma, then I believe the same results are
ideally possible. Here the guru takes the place of the Shastra, at least in
that person's mind. However in general, the arguers prefer japa as a way to
moksha, not as a fulfillment of dharma; hence ego comes in and defeats
their purpose.

praNAms Sri Ramanathan prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I dont think any *guru* who knows the tradition would suggest his students
about the  substitutes for scriptural injunctions..For dhamAcharaNa &
shishtAchAra shAstra is the ultimate pramANa..Having known this guru would
not dare to suggest otherwise...With regard to nitya karma-s resulting in
boosting ego-s, again,  I dont think so, on the other hand,  observing
these vedic rituals always reminds us our svadharma & importance of it in
mOksha sAdhana.   Anyway this is only my opinion.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar