[Advaita-l] Meditation according to advaita

sreenivasa murthy narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
Fri May 30 07:37:01 CDT 2008

From: H.N.Sreenivasa Murthy
Namaskarams to all.

Dear Sri Suresh,

        In adavaita vedanta, if the word "meditation" is used in the sense of
vastutantrajnana, i.e. in the sense of cognizing one's own true nature , then
meditation is concerned about the meditator himself. It has to be noted that the meditator should exist prior to the act of meditation. Then how can the true nature of meditator  can be known by doing meditation ? Brihadaranyaka upanishad asks : " yEnEdagM sarvaM vijAnAti taM kEna vijAniyAdvij~JAtAramarE kEna vijAnIyAditi ||" (Mantra 2-4-14).
     If the word 'meditation' is used in the sense of "upAsane" then it should be done according to the instructions of SAstra and AcArya. This is kartRutantra.
     Which one is your requirement? please decide and act accordingly.
With best wishes,
 Ever yours in the Divine,
Sreenivasa Murthy

Suresh <mayavaadi at yahoo.com> wrote: Friends,

I am aware of the other thread on yoga and its
relation to advaita, but it's got too many posts, and
hence confusing.

In simple words, I'd like to know what meditation is,
according to advaita. Is it predominantly
nirguNOpAsana? If so, what is it exactly? I am
assuming NU is all about abiding in the state devoid
of names and forms, in short, rejecting all mental
vrtthis as illusory, so the self can abide in the self
with no preoccupation with the outside world.

This also seems to be in tune with basic advaitic
principles, such as the illusoriness of the world, and
the (sole) Reality of the self.

Is this understanding correct?

Warmly,
Suresh