[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri May 16 04:45:57 CDT 2008

praNAm all,

Hari Om, Bhaskar-ji,

I somehow missed replying to your mail earlier. Thanks for the
clarifications you
provide.

> (b) indicates interpretation of Vedic scriptures including karma kAnDa.
>
> bhaskar :
>
> Yes, dont you think so prabhuji?? pUrva mImAmsaka-s say karmakAnda is the
> real practical teaching of vEda-s for some definite/guaranteed results
> whereas jnAna pradhAna vAkya-s are mere arthavAda...OTOH, uttara
> mImAmsaka-s/vEdAntins look at the same vEda/vEdAnta from a different
> perspective & interpret its utility accordingly...

Of course, I think so too. :) To clarify, what I meant to say is that
Advaita Vedanta
itself has not changed to interpret karma kAnDA differently. Anyway, agreed.

> bhaskar :
>
> I am afraid, that might not be the case even within the circle of orthodox
> advaita saMpradAya... But this ofcourse, without
> making any compromise on the ultimate siddhAnta of advaita vEdAnta.

Although that in itself is quite sufficient for me, those
interpretations too, that
I see as elaborations instead, help understand bhagavatpAda well.

 For
> that matter, shankara himself admits in his gIta bhAsya introduction that
> even though there were different interpretations on gIta (though they were
> teaching philosophy of non-duality ultimately) he wants to show the *right
> way of interpreation* of the same text...

I vaguely recall this and so I will revisit the same. Thanks for this
reference.
However, that too may not necessarily mean that post-Shankara (names
you mentioned) approach of interpretation/ elaboration is not *right*, in
comparison to pre-Shankara approach to non-duality. Nonetheless, point
well-taken.

gurOrarpaNamastu,
--praveen
--Br.Up. 4.5.15 */