[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

sivaramakrishnan muthuswamy muthushiv at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 09:59:17 CDT 2008

Jaldarji, it is the most unfortunate comment i have ever heard from you.  I couldn't even believe it was you writing it.  What I see a vehement opposition to Swami Vivekananda (mostly out of hatered) than because of some constructive inputs in your latest mail.   Swami Vivekananda is a product of various schools.  His teacher in spiritual path is Sri Ramakrishna (no doubt) but Adi Shankaracharya's influence in his life is immense. The last pages of Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna will stand for it.  Let us face it.  Can I say Shankaracharya is a south indian and possibly he is influenced by south Saiva siddanta school and that's why all the peetams are asked to worship Shiva?  This is ridiculous.

The cultural impact is basically kept aside when the theological standpoint is analyzed.  Pages after pages has been written (Spoken) by Vivekananda on the topic of Advaita.  Please remember he lived a short life and he traveled extensively and his audience were diverse.  His contemporaries including Swami Brahmananda, Swami Abhedananda and later Swami Nikilananda were oozing the principles of "Advaita from vedantic stand point". I am not clear what you want "Vedantic" point of view.  Look, the important point is to obtain the "jnana" and not "Vedantic textual knowledge".  This can be given by Guru only.  We read them in Upanishads (eg.Chandogya).  The issue is who is the true guru which is a matter of another discussion.

You claim that Swami Vivekananda idea freezed the growth of hindu thoughts in modern india. Let me tell you not even a fraction of India's population reads any spiritual book - leave alone Vivekananda's.  The modern and so called confident population wouldn't be so idiotic if they read any spiritual books.  Look at the madness Indian population is undergoing.  Every one wants to become either an IT professional, or a Doctor or some Engineer.  The country looks like a breeding machine to me.  By the way poverty and ignorance is striking in rural India. The confidence we are talking is about doing what we are worth for.  That is the message of Swami Vivekananda.  Infact today his message has more meaning than ever.  I cherish every word of Swamiji from his lectures "Colombo to Almora".

I bet you have no Idea abt. the works of Swami Vivekananda.  He is one true sanyasin who's heart was bleeding for the poor's comfort.  He never sat in a corner to do tapas nor he collected some money and designed "Courses" for western people.  Nook and corner of India - he and his sanyasin brothers established hospitals, schools, and charity halls to alleviate the suffering.  That was their Tapas.

You say the books are available in plenty.  Do you know how.  Apart from some private publications it is Sri Ramakrishna ashram's personal effort so many books are available.  Personally I myself recovered some old books and I gave it to Sri Ramakrishna Ashram in Mylapore which they converted into print. Their publication dept. translate every noble book of hindu philosophy in English to increase the availability.  And this is called "Vision" which Swami Vivekananda possessed.  Do you think any other organization would do that.  All the modern day swamiji's are designing "Courses", a book and pep talk on Bagavad Gita, and some "rituals" because it looks soo cool.

You say the nature of West has changed.  Let me ask you who did it first? It is Swami Vivekananda.  If you dont have the capacity to show gratitude, that is alright but don't throw mud at others because first it contaminates your hand. Jaladarji, you come across as a learned man.  Please dont harbor shallow thoughts.

God is Great

Siva