[Advaita-l] Reciting veda ghana pATaM

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jun 13 04:38:45 CDT 2008

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks for taking time to clarify my doubts prabhuji.

Sri JV prabhuji :

I imagine for learned vaidiks too, the vikrtis do not serve a
"practical" purpose but as you said develop mastery.

bhaskar :

Yes, here in South India there is a high status in vaidik circle for one
who learnt ghana/salakshaNa ghana type of recitation...Normally we call
them with a suffix *ghanapATi*..Like rAmakrishna ghanapAti, jayarama
ghanapATI etc. I read somewhere a Sanskrit slOka that says  those who
recite pada pATa would get dviguNa puNya phala, and those who recite krama
pATa would get triguNa puNya phala & those who recite jatA pATa would get 6
time more phala than mere recitation of saMhitA pATha.  Interestingly there
is no mention about ghana pATa here :-)) However, in rudrAbhishEkam &
during ashtAvadhAna sEva etc, we do recite some anuvAka-s of namaka,
chamaka & some saMhitA maNtra-s in ghana style as a part of vEda pArAyaNa..

Sri JV prabhuji :

The dominant view is that of Shri Bhaskararaya who in
his guptavatI tika on chandipatha establishes the number 700 by including
each uvAcha (and namaH in yA devI sarvabhUteShu...) as a mantra.   The
prastAvanA of guptavatI gives his reasons for it.

bhaskar :

Thanks a lot for your kind clarification.  I heard that in kAtyAyani
prayOga taNtra also this observation there..But kindly clarify whether we
can add svAhAkAra to kIlaka stOtra, chandi kavacha, argalA stOtra, tantrOka
rAtri sUkta also prabhuji??  Normally, as you know these sloka-s we recite
only initially before chandi pArAyaNa...but I feel these slokas also
equally effective & powerful to prophitiate bhagavati.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar