[Advaita-l] Qualities of vArtikam

Mahadevan Babu babunim at optushome.com.au
Wed Jul 30 03:46:38 CDT 2008

Dear Shri Sastri
Namaskarams and Thank You for the prompt response and expounding it
with Shlokas.

I read in a book that a vArtikam is analysed  & detailed with
"sAngopAngham" - i.e along with reference to the 6 VedAngAs & 4 upAngas.
(Daivathin Kural, by Kanchi Paramacharyal

Please pardon my ignorance as I am an absolute beginner trying to
comprehend these in the right manner.

So, putting these together, can we say that a person who is writing a
vArtikam must be well qualified in all the 6 Veda angAs and the 4
upAngas.
He must analyze it in a critical manner for the benefit of further
study on the main Sutras.

Also, I still don't know why Shankara BhagavadPadal themselves did not
write the vArtikam along with Bhasyam for Brahma Sutram.
Is it against any norms that one who writes Bhashyam should not write
vArtikam as well on the same sutras?

What are the vArtikas written by our beloved Shankara BhagavadPadal,
could anyone please tell me?

Sorry, for flooding with questions, I must start somewhere and what
better forum than this one.

SRI GURUBYO NAMAHA !!!

Babu