[Advaita-l] mental effort

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jul 29 00:13:37 CDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Vishy wrote:

> I am certainly not against scriptures or books. After all they are the
> boat(s) that help you to cross over the river of ignorence. Let us be
> thankful to the boat for helping us to cross, but after crossing the
> river, there is no point in carrying over our heads for the sake of
> gratitude.

And what about those who have yet to cross?  We do not care for them?
Those jnanis who only care about their own mukti remain silent for
they truly have no use for words.  But the moment you bring another person
into the picture, you are back to vyavahara and all its rules apply.

>   About the experience.... One might read 100 books  to know
> that " sugar is sweet". But it would remain just a knowledge unless he
> himself tastes it.

The analogy is faulty because brahman has no gunas like sweetness.  It
always just is.  Either one understands this or one doesn't.  Whether the
catalyst for understanding is a written shastra or a spoken shastra makes
no difference.

> Atleat the person  who had tasted  (Yogi) can attempt others too to
> taste.... even without knwing the word ' sweet'

If he doesn't know the word sweet what is he getting others to taste?
Maybe poison inadvertantly?  His subjective personal experience is useless
to anyone else if it cannot be communicated.