[Advaita-l] law of karma

latha vidyaranya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 3 10:39:51 CDT 2008

hari om
namaste

Ishwara does not give fruits of our karma as he pleases. He is only a dispenser of fruits. He dispenses according to the fruition of our karmas. some seeds give out sapling soon, the plant grows up fast and yields fruits fast.. some seeds are very slow in bringing out the sapling, the plant's growth is also slow and slow is the process of it yielding fruit.

if the seed itself is diseased, we can only expect a diseased plant and a diseased fruit out of it. but there are methods to cure the diseases or atleast minimize the damages, is it not? thats what the chanting of stotras, poojas etc do.

sri sri Chandrashekhara Bharathi Swamiji mentions that it was with our own free will that we had committed the earlier karma and if it has started resulting in poor outcome now, try to exert heavier force through much stronger free will now to annihilate the bad effects. stotras chanted with utmost devotion and sincerity have this doubled force to annul the effects of earlier karma. instead of a rock falling on the head, a smaller stone may fall causing lesser injury.

why the period of fruition vary? - well, a cough and cold virus can attack immediately and the person starts sneezing and coughing immediately. whereas, a chicken pox virus has an incubation period of 15 days and then you see the person start suffering with chicken pox. in case of HIV virus, it lurks in the body for over 8 to 10 years after which the full blown manifestation of AIDS disease is seen. similar is the ripening of fruits of our karmas..

namaste