[Advaita-l] nitya karma and job

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 2 05:32:16 CDT 2008

whereas the occupational duties (our daily jobs) are not vaidhika karmas
and hence do not fall under either nitya or naimittika karmas. they are
vyavahaaric karmas to fulfill the social obligations.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Interestingly,  these social obligations or vyAvahArik karma-s are closely
linked with one's own *svadharma* & seems to be obligatory!!..Though these
karma-s cannot be strictly categorized as either nitya or naimittika
karma-s, some smruti texts insisted the strict adherence to karma-s that is
based on svadharma...For example, in gIta bhagavan forced arjuna to follow
his svadharma i.e. fighting the battle...Being a kshatriya, arjuna had to
fight the battle of kurukshEtra and krishna asked him to do the
same..Likewise, being a brAhmaNa, one has to regularly perform hOma,
havana, yAga-s etc., spread the message of scripture (dharma prachAra) etc
because it is his svadharma..and being born as vaishya, one has to do
vyavahAra (business) since it is his svadharma....I think, these are all as
sri Jaldhar prabhuji pointed out comes under nitya/namittika karma category
only...So, these social obligations are part & parcel of one's own
svadharma if it is done with an aim of protecting the same. (svadharma
saMrakshaNArthaM).

Comments & clarifications are welcome.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar