[Advaita-l] gita commentaries (was: what is siddhiH)

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:06:35 CST 2008

namaste,

> When it is said, phala-tRshNA-SUnyena kriyamANe karmaNi sattva-Suddhi-jA
> jnAna-prApti-lakshaNA siddhiH, this siddhi is not the result of jnAna
> itself. Rather, the AcArya is pointing to the result of karma yoga,
> which is mental purification leading to attainment of knowledge.
> Attaining this result is siddhi and failure to attain this is asiddhi.
> The advice given here is that the karma-yogi should strive to be
> equanimous even towards success and failure in attaining this result.
Thank you. This makes much more sense than how I was attempting to convolute
it.

Another question: when studying  bhagavatpAdA's commentary, are any other
sub-commentaries studied in parallel? Is the bhashya generally read in the
context of any sub-commentaries? For example, take Anandagiri's tika. Is the
tika read in parallel with the bhashya, or left to a later time?

A text from the digial library has the following in addition to
shankara-bhAShya ---

(b) anandagiri's tika
(c) nilakaNThi
(d) bhAShyotkarSha-dIpIkA of dhanapati
(e) shrIdharI
(f) gItArthasangraha of abhinavaguptAchArya
(g) gUDhArthadIpIkA of madhusUdana
(h) gUDhArthatattvaloka of shridharmadattashrama

Which of these (if any) can be read alongside the bhashyam?

bhavadIyaH,

         ajit