[Advaita-l] Books by SK Ramachandra Rao

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jan 22 00:06:11 CST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> I started replying to this a couple of days back and deleted my reply
> after some thought. After some more thought, here is my view for all
> it's worth. The late S K Ramachandra Rao, apart from the usual
> "Padmapada did not know squat, I know best" rants, also had these
> views (which I found recently reading through one of his books)

FWIW, we should bear in mind that he had one foot in the world of
traditional scholarship and one in the world of critical scholarship.  The
views you mention are not especially controversial in the latter.  When
specifically expounding shastras I don't see that he took anything other
than a 100% astika approach.

When I was in Bangalore in '05 I visited the Shrngeri math and from their
bookstall I bought his edition with translation of svanubhavadarsha of
Swami Madhavashrama.  It impressed me enough that I became interested in
his other writings and the shrividyakosha in particular is on my list to
read if I ever find the time.