[Advaita-l] What is siddhiH? gita 2.48 yogasthaH kuru karmANi

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 10:39:37 CST 2008

namaste,

Jaldhar Wrote:

> > (1) Where does the acharya's phrase "sattva-shuddhi-jA
> > gyAna-prApti-lakshaNA" come from? It looks out of place to me.
>
> siddhi is the result of jnana which is the result of pure sattva or
> ishvararadhanabuddhi as M.S. puts it.  The latter has a more theistic
> orientation but the idea is the same.

I see. Let me try to re-state this idea.

Shankara comments "kuru karmANi kevalam IshvarArtham, tatrApi Ishvaro
me tuShyatu iti sa.ngam tyaktvA". This is "samatvam", or
"sattva-buddhiH". Out of this sattva-shuddiH / pure
ishvara-ArAdhana-buddhiH comes gyAnam. And "out of this gyAnam" comes
siddhiH.

So, in "siddhi-asiddhayoH samo bhUtva", the instruction is primarily
directed at the case of "asiddhiH", since siddhiH presupposes samatvam
in the first place.

> > "sa jahAti . . . iha . . . sukRita-duShkRute . . .
> > sattva-shuddhi-gyAna-prApti-dvAreNa yataH, tasmAt
> > samatva-buddhi-yojAya yujyasva".
>
> We shouldn't care about sucess or failure in attaining siddhi because it
> is not the "product" of human volition.  Detachment from worry about
> results gives rise to jnana which naturally results in siddhi.

Thanks.

bhavadIyaH,

        ajit