[Advaita-l] New member introduction: Mani Iyer

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 07:47:41 CST 2008

My name is Mani Iyer and I live in the United States, in a suburb of Boston. I am legally blind and suffer from a profound hearing loss too.  I am just lucky to have a wonderful family which consists of my wife, two beautiful children and a worldly-wise dog!

My grandfather, Kalpathi Airavatham Iyer, was a very learned man, and in those days (late 1800s to early 1900s) was the headmaster of a high school in Vellore. I have heard that he was a disciple of Ramana Maharishi and translated the ‘Uma Sahasram’ from Sanskrit to Malayalam and dedicated it to Sri Ramana.  There is also a possibility of him having written a biography of Sri Ramana or Seshadri Swamigal. However, owing to family circumstances, this legacy has been lost. I would like to know more about my grandfather’s works and hopefully lay my hands on the books he wrote or translated.

Besides this, I am a non-conforming Hindu who believes that truth needs no religion.  I have read very little of Sri Ramana Maharishi and whatever I read, has confounded me. J Yet, I continue to believe in Sri Ramana and would someday like to visit his ashram in Tamil Nadu.