[Advaita-l] On Bhakti Yoga

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 23:03:13 CST 2008

Namaste,

Depending on the level of spiritual progress each one
is in one of the following four stages:

1. dvaita: This is ajnAna dominated stage. There are
boundaries between one jiva and other, between jiva
and various devas, between one deva and other, and
there may or may not be a place for one supreme God.

2. advaita: This is when jnAna starts illuminating
the buddhi. Thoughts like : All is one, I am all, etc
typically dominate this stage.

3a. advaita-advaita: One may decide to follow the
path of nivRtti: strive to overcome everything in
the realm of mAyA. Here one would work towards
complete annihilation of karma and possibly ahaMkAra.

3b. advaita-dvaita: Even after realizing that world
is unreal, Self alone is real, one may still not want
to pursue path 3a. One may want to continue to live
in this illusion, WITHOUT giving up advaita.

The view of bhakti where one understands:
"Ishwara is sitting in a distant Heaven or Vaikuntha
and hearing his praise or stutis"
"Rewarding those who praise him"
etc., is bhakti as understood in stage 1.

Shri Sadanandaji's definition of bhakti is more
appropriate for stages 2, and 3a.

However, the bhakti that Gita or Bhagavatam talk
about is different from these two. It is bhakti
as would be understood in stage 3b. Please note
Bhagavatam talks about bhaktas who have refused
moksha (i.e refused path 3a) and chosen to serve
Lord.

(This is my understanding, no claims of authority
are being made).

Regards,
Shrinivas