[Advaita-l] On Bhakti Yoga

Anant Upadhyayula uanant at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:06:42 CST 2008

Namaste Sandeep,
I read your example of coffee to associate likes and dislikes.
Your doubt was how same experience can leave a liking and disliking thought
on different individual.
The way I understood is - human beings eternal pursuits is to be happy, some
say they want to go to heaven and get material things. If you put one why at
the end of all the desires or pursuits of humans; then we can easily
conclude that it is to gain happiness. The life of becoming something starts
with a subtle desire to be happy. A person wants to be happy, who would want
to happy. A person who is not happy can only want to be happy.

Now regarding the coffee example, the person who has inner unhappiness,
inner void will find happiness in sense pleasures. If you give coffee to a
Jyani then he would simply drink it and would not associate any name,
feelings to it. Where as the other person who is on a quest for happiness
but did not know; would keep thinking that coffee gives him pleasure, or any
other senses gives him pleasure.

Any person who derives any kind of sense pleasure he would remain Ajyani. I
heard about Ramana Maharshi, he used to mix, rice curry, dal and all other
ingredients and then eat it. He eliminated the taste of individual items, he
knew the purpose of food to is support body not to gives names as per
appearances and tastes.

And a person who develops dislikes has a preset thoughts based of his
senses, if thing is not as per his senses then he would develop dislike and
if it is as per his preset notions then he would develop liking.
I hope this gives some insight, even though seems my thoughts are not well
organized.
enjoy learning
Anant