[Advaita-l] guNa - doSa

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:42:55 CST 2008

I don't think there is any text that does this sort of pairing. Although the words guNa and dosha are usually antonyms, they are not meant as such in this context. After all, guNa can be either su-guNa or dur-guNa, although normally people take guNa to mean su-guNa.

The description of the three dosha-s comes from Ayurvedic texts, while the three guNa-s are described in the sAMkhya texts. If anything, my guess would be that each of kapha, pitta and vAta would be described in the Ayurvedic texts as different combinations of sattva, rajas and tamas. Also, in Ayurveda, these three are not intrinsically dosha-s. The deviation from equilibrium of these three physical constituents leads to a dominance of one or two and that is what is called a dosha.

Regards,
Vidyasankar