[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya

Amuthan aparyap at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:25:19 CDT 2008

Dear list members,
  Sorry to drag on into this topic which I suppose is irrelevant to
advaita siddhAnta, but i'm interested in getting some doubts cleared.
Those who find it irrelevant may ignore it.

> --- On Sun, 8/17/08, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The set of 3 (or 5 or sometimes even 7) rishis for a gotra
>> is unique. No two gotra-s can share the same pravara.
>> However, some gotra-s have multiple names.
and
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> When I mentioned this to my father, he said that IF the Paurukutsa Gotra and SaThamarShaNa Gotra share the same 3 Rishis in their pravaras, then they are to be treated as sa-gotras, even though the actual Gotra name may be different.

One of my friends who is knowledgeable in these issues told me that
the vasishTha and kauNDiNya gotra-s are _different_ gotra-s though
they have the same set of 3 RshIs (vasishTha, maitrAvaruNa,
kauNDiNya). Is this right? While on the topic, what exactly does it
mean to say that two gotra-s as sagotra?

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra,
Water) <vidyasankar.sundaresan_at_ge.com> wrote:
> ps. shaTamarshana, paurukutsa and vishNuvRddha are the same
> gotra practically, as they have the same pravara. They can be
> considered to be different names for the same gotra.

I think this might be true for this particular gotra. I found one more
reference to this fact somewhere online. Thanks for the information.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Ramesh Krishnamurthy
<rkmurthy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The correct ITRANS, to my knowledge, is ShaDmarShaNa and not SaThamarShaNa.

I'm not sure what your source is, but atleast in my family they
pronounce it as SaThamarShaNa and not ShaDmarShaNa. It may be possible
that this is yet another name for this gotra, but I haven't heard
about it earlier.

amudan.