[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya (fwd) (Jaldhar H. Vyas)

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:37:41 CDT 2008

2008/8/20 sunil bhattacharjya <skbhattacharjya at gmail.com>:

> Recently there was an article by one Dr. Balakrishna (if my memory
> serves me right) explaining how it is related to the Genes.

I had come across the said article and I think it had some errors.
Gotra is a patrilineal marker for sure but there are other finer
points that need to be kept in mind. For example, among ancient
kshatriya-s there was a practice of using their brahmana priest's
gotra for ritual purposes, in addition to their ancestral gotra.

The term "Gautama" in Gautama Buddha is probably a gotra marker as the
Dr Balakrishna says, but this indicates that that his family may have
had a brahmana priest of the Gautama gotra. The ancient bauddha texts
are clear that prince siddhartha was a kshatriya in the Ikshvaku line
(same as Sri Ramachandra of the Ramayana).

Ramesh