[Advaita-l] Knowledge and the Means of Knowledge -17

sunil bhattacharjya skbhattacharjya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:51:37 CDT 2008

<<   5.      sadasat khyAti – this theory due to sAnkhya is based on
perception of real (sat) and unreal (asat) object. Silver that is real
(in silversmith's shop) is perceived here as unreal superimposition on
nacre. Hence it is the cognition of real silver as unreal in the
nacre.  Thus it is a conjoint perception of real and unreal object as
'this is silver' where nacre is. It is dismissed on the ground that
something non-existent is cannot be perceived in front since it is
existent somewhere else. The object perceived must be present in front
for its perception, since perception is immediate and direct.  >>

So . This is Viveka khyati of Patanjali too. Yoga and Sankhya are not
different philosophically.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya