[Advaita-l] AVIDYA- MAYA

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 14:53:12 CDT 2008

 Dear All,

Re Some of the questions posed by Sri Kameshwara and nature of mAyA / avidyA

advaita's focus is on paramArtha (brahma-jnAna) and not on vyavahAra (worldly knowledge). It pays only that much attention to empirical level as required to prove its transitory character vis-a-vis the unchanging, eternal brahman. In fact advaita earmarks the worldly knowledge in the realm of avidyA (Ignorance), a lower grade of reality or (arguably) the manifestation of inexplicable mAyA. For a brahma-jnAni the world is tuccha (insignificant). Although, advaita tries to give systematic epistemological base in comparatively later texts such as vedAnta-paribhAshA to empirical knowledge process, its over all treatment of world phenomenon is naturally inadequate. Considering the fact that advaita is not a pure philosophy but more of theology-philosophy (theosophy) with a focus on transcendental brahman this situation is but natural. Here perhaps a more empirical-positivist philosophy like early Buddhism the core of which is pratitya-samutpAda (dependent
 origination) could be more useful to explain the world processes. So, classical advaita can embrace early Buddhism to make the advaita complete. The profound unity of brahman = Atman at the transcendental-absolute level supported by pratitya-samutpAda at the empirical-relative level could be the universal philosophy. Till such a synthesis is not effected we may have to take shelter behind anirvacanIya mAyA which is nothing but the veil of Ignorance.

This is not to highlight shortcoming of mAyA because mAyA's indeterminate nature is in excellent conformance with present day proven scientific theories. The world is indeterminate beyond certain physical limits such as minimum action, minimum charge (Quantum theory); max force, max speed (Relativity) and min entropy, max temperature (Thermodynamics). This indeterminacy is very fundamental like the ontological indeterminacy of mAyA and is predicted by hard mathematical equations of physics. Still mAyA has to act only as bridge between the Absolute and Relative and not as a guiding principle of vyavahAra.  For that purpose pratitya-samutpAda is eminently suited.  So, we need modern day prachanna-buddha to undertake such a synthesis :)

ananta