[Advaita-l] Discussion on karma khanda in Advaita vedanta

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:33:35 CDT 2007

On 06/09/07, Ravi Parimi <rparimi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice point. I've also seen instances where Sanyasis participate in
> homas, pujas, social activities (supposedly to save our heritage),
> start proceedings of weddings etc. Such activities are unbecoming of
> sanyasis - seems like most of these activities are motivated by
> financial pursuits (in terms of developing their ashrams) or gaining
> fame..

The major maThAdhipati-s have certain responsibilities, so they are a
bit different from the "ideal" sannyAsI-s who have no role whatsoever
in society.

In particular, the cAturmAsya events do involve certain rituals and
they are meant for the well-being of society.

As far as finances go, how many of the traditional maTha-s are
well-funded, apart from a few major ones? Much of what you say is
truer of the new age guru-s and bAbA-s rather than the traditional
sannyAsI-s.

IMO, traditional scholarship today is in extremely bad shape and
improving that is where we must concentrate on. Criticising the
sannyAsI-s is an easy way out.

Ramesh