[Advaita-l] Discussion on karma khanda in Advaita vedanta

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:23:57 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> e.g. when the sacred thread (yajnopavIta) is worn, the saMkalpa refers to
> "Srauta-smArta-vihita-nityakarma-anushThAna". The renunciation of all karma
>
> by saMnyAsins is symbolically represented by throwing away the yajnopavIta
> too.
>
> praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Yes, saMnyAsins,  in our advaita tradition as well as in other traditions
> have taken  sarvakarma saNyAsa dIkShA...But it seems, though they are
> sarvakarma tyAga saMnyAsins, they are indulging themselves in some purely
> materialistic activities..like inaugurating Andra Style Hotels (which
> caters both veg & non-Veg food), beauty parlours, cinema halls, fast food
> restaurants  etc. etc. on these occassions, they not only cut the tape,
> they allow  owners to do *pAdapooja* in these premises & giving suitable
> *Ashirvachana* also at these places..ofcourse, they charge  hefty
> *pAdapooja kANike* to grace these functions :-)). I dont know whether there
> is a provision in our dharma shAstra,  for *sarvakarma tyAgi saNyAsins* to
> engage themselves in these type of loukika activities...

Nice point. I've also seen instances where Sanyasis participate in
homas, pujas, social activities (supposedly to save our heritage),
start proceedings of weddings etc. Such activities are unbecoming of
sanyasis - seems like most of these activities are motivated by
financial pursuits (in terms of developing their ashrams) or gaining
fame..