[Advaita-l] Discussion on "Athma is mere function of the brain"

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Thu Oct 18 01:18:44 CDT 2007

With reference to the above topic,I would like to say that all the
possibilities has been discussed  in the Brahma Sutra Bhashya of Shankara
where he discusses consciousness(chaitanya).The quality of the Athma(soul)
is that it remains unchanging in all the three periods of
time,past,present and future(Trikalaabhaditha satya).But, the function of
the brain is "Thought".We are able to discern thought because it changes
from moment to moment.Therefore, thought can be treated as a ripple in
consciousness.
Athma is like 'Surya"(sun)who is "prakasha svarupa".It is ever present.
When the "Upadhi"(adjucnt)which is subtle reflects the consciousness from
the Athma,just as a "Jabhakusuma"(hibiscus flower)kept in the vicinity of
the "spatika" assumes the red colour so also the  World  is reflected by
the mind in multifarious ways.The "sath" os the "Athma" is reflected as
"sath" in the world.
                                                    N.Srikanta.