[Advaita-l] athma is mere function of the brain [was: concept of soul]

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Oct 12 22:49:13 CDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Sethu Sethuraman wrote:

> The skeptics' two favourite questions are: if
> athma is in fact a potent power, how come it needs the body to function?
> In other words is there anything at all a soul can actually do by
> itself?

It is the jiva that needs the body to function.  The whole point of
Vedanta is to free the atma from needing the body!

And that atma is not a limited created entity but all-pervading Brahman.

> The second question is "it's only a matter of time before a
> fully functional human is created entirely in the laboratory - be it
> from harvested genetic material no less. Assuming this is a complete
> life-form that can function like any healthy human on earth, where did
> it get its "life" from, if not from the brain?"

Why does it matter?  A rock or piece of metal is as much Brahman as you or
I except it lacks consciousness so it cannot know this.  If perchance it
could develop consciousness and understand non-duality then it could
achieve moksha just like you or I.

This is incidentally why I like to leave the word atma untranslated.
"Soul" has too many connotations which confuse the issue.