[Advaita-l] mithyA from archives

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 02:42:22 CST 2007

namaskAraH,

On 26/11/2007, kuntimaddi sadananda <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even if fundamental particles exist - they exist only
> in the waking state, and are negated in the dream and
> deep sleep state. Therefore they are only temporary
> and hence only vyavahaara satya and not paaramaarthika
> satya.

Thanks a lot for the response.

So you are having to use the avasthAtraya parIkShA to establish the
mithyAtva of fundamental particles.

Personally, I find avasthAtraya based arguments quite confusing. It is
almost as if one could justify any philosophical position by
appropriately interpreting the avasthAtraya. Perhaps I should read the
yogavASiShTha in greater detail and get to the bottom of this.

Nevertheless, my general opinion is that the avasthAtraya must be used
sparingly and only as a last resort while countering any pUrvapaxa. No
point in using the brahmAstra to kill an annoying mosquito :)

Would greatly appreciate any leads from the mahArathI-s of this list
in establishing the mithyAtva of fundamental particles without using
the avasthAtraya analysis.

The equivalence (?) of space & time could be a good starting point.
But my understanding of physics is not deep enough to formulate a
clear argument along this line.

Ramesh