[Advaita-l] Fw: How shruti is antya pramANa in advaita vEdAnta?? (fwd)

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:32:53 CDT 2007

praNAm all,

Namaste Savitriji,

Thanks for your reply. I can understand that you want to avoid opening
the can of worms, so I won't ask for a further clarification, but just
mention my understanding.

I was under the impression (again, from my readings) that the
difference between those that subscribe to jivanmukti as moksha vs
videha mukti as moksha was due to the rejection or acceptance of
prArabdha acting. I wasn't aware that there are advaitins that preach
that practice and meditation is needed.

dhanyavAdaH,
--praveen

On 5/29/07, savithri devaraj <savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Praveen <bhatpraveen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > praNAm all,
> >
> > Namaste Savitriji,
> >
> > > In fact Sri Satchidanandendra Saraswati Swamiji>
> > whole-heartedly declares that moksha is possible for
> > > an eligible seeker at the instant of just hearing
> > the
> > > sruti vakya from a guru, while many other
> > advaitins
> > > say that more practice and meditation is required.
> >
> > Assuming that an eligible seeker is the one who has
> > followed (and
> > mastered) sAdhanA chAtushTaya. In which case, aren't
> > all advaitins on
> > the same page w.r.t. moksha being instantaneous on
> > hearing shruti
> > vAkya from a guru? Are there some advaitins who say
> > that even for such
> > a seeker, practice and meditation is required?
> >
> Namaste Praveenji,
>
> No, not all advaitins believe that moksha is
> instantaneous even for a fully eligible (sAdhana
> cAtushtaya sampanna) seeker.
>
> Not to open another can of worms, but since you ask,
> there are those who believe that moksha can only be at
> the fall of the body, i.e, when you attain knowledge,
> your body falls off. Others believe that though a
> person can live as a jivamukta, he still has some
> avidya-lesha and that he can only achieve liberation
> after death of the body. These people believe that
> videha-mukti is the only form of liberation. And still
> some others even believe that hearing the maha-vAkyas
> are not enough, but they have to repeat the
> maha-vAkyas to achieve liberation.
> So, I am not really sure how much these people
> emphasize sAdana-cAtushtaya sampattih. Although they
> may believe it's a pre-requisite for jnAna, they seem
> to discount it a lot.
> This is what I have gathered from my readings, I can't
> tell you any more about this.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Savithri
>

> ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.